Hello friends! 🙋🏻
Do you like healthy smoothies? If you do, you are in luck ☺️ The Bilberry Dream Smoothie is extremely healthy, especially for your eyes. It also has a number of other positive health effects. For more info, check out the “Why my Bilberry Dream Smoothie is good for you” part a bit lower on this page 😉
Not familiar with bilberries? Bilberries are the lesser known cousins of the North American blueberries. Basically, the greatest differences is that bilberries grow naturally in forests in northern Europe, whereas the blueberries are typically cultivated. Here in Finland, we have lots of them 💃🏼
About the recipe: I added oat brans and spelt to make the smoothie even healthier and richer in fibers. I also blended a little low-fat milk with the natural yogurt to make the smoothie feel a bit lighter, since the spelt and oat brans make the consistency stickier.
A simple, healthy bilberry smoothie with fiber-rich spelt and oat brans.
- 1 cup bilberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1,5 cups yogurt or soygurt
- 0,5 cups low-fat milk
- 1 tbsp honey (liquid)
- 2 tbsp spelt
- 2 tbsp oat bran
Place the ingredients in the blender.
Mix the ingredients.
If you want to get even more dietary fiber from your smoothie, add even more oat brans and/or spelt 🙂 Also, you can leave out the honey if you want, but it does improve the taste, so I usually add it.
If you love bilberries, check out my other recipes made with this healthy forest berry.
Why my Bilberry Dream Smoothie is good for you:
- Bilberries are known for their health properties. They improve eye health (may stop cataracts from developing). Bilberries can also reduce inflammation in the body. They also contain antioxidants, such as anthocyanins. It may also protect from colon cancer.
- Oats provenly lower cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of developing cardiovascular diseases. The beta-glucan in the oats help our bodies fight infection.
- Spelt is full of healthy minerals that help us strengthen our bones. The iron and copper is excellent for our blood circulation. Spelt also contains a lot of dietary fiber that lowers our cholesterol.
- Many yogurts contain probiotics. Probiotics are bacteria that live naturally in our digestive systems and may help boost our immune system. Studies suggest that yogurt may help people with constipation, diarrhea or other gastrointestinal conditions. Most yogurts also contain vitamin D and calcium that, when taken together, is beneficial for our bones and may prevent osteoporosis.
I hope you will enjoy this nutrient-rich, healthy smoothie! 😘 If you liked this recipe, please share it with your friends and family. You can find share buttons above the title of this post 🙂 You can find Smoothie Fairytales on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.