Hello dear friends! 😀
Do you feel like wanting something delicious that wouldn’t be too sugary and bad for your health? Well, you are in luck, because here’s a smoothie that does just that 🙂
First of all I want to remind you that not all smoothies are low-calorie — some smoothies are actually very high in calories. However, my today’s smoothie, an apple & plum goodness, is a perfect blend of low-calories and tastiness. To make this simple smoothie more scrumptious I spiced it up with a little cinnamon and raw cocoa. It turned out absolutely delicious and contains only 221 kcal, which is not too bad for a good, big smoothie jar (420 ml) 😋
This smoothie is naturally rich in dietary fiber because it contains one apple and eight plums. So it should keep you satisfied for a couple of hours at least.
Cinnamon and cocoa make the smoothie more appetizing and original. I absolutely love cocoa so I often experiment and add it to different smoothie recipes – it gives the smoothie pleasant chocolaty aftertaste 🍫. I usually use raw cocoa because it hasn’t been treated as much as normal cocoa powder and thus contains more health-promoting nutrients. However, if you don’t have raw cocoa just use the one you have in you pantry. The smoothie will taste just as great!
When it comes to plum smoothies, I love mixing plums with apples rather than using bananas. This helps to create a milder fruity taste. Bananas are great and I love them in most of my smoothies. However, they have a very distinct flavor that easily takes over the taste of all the other fruits in the smoothie. For this reason, I sometimes just go for an apple or two instead.
Alright, enough with talking, here’s the recipe 😋
An apple & plum smoothie is a perfect blend of low-calories and tastiness. To make this simple smoothie more scrumptious I spiced it up with cinnamon and raw cocoa.
- 8 plums (fresh or frozen)
- 1 apple (medium-sized)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp cocoa (preferably raw cocoa)
- 1/2 cup yogurt or plant milk
- 1 tbsp honey or any other sweetener of your choice
First of all, throughly wash the plums and the apples.
Next, pit the plums. Then, core the apple and cut it into chunks.
Put the fruits and all other ingredients into a blender and blend on full strength until thoroughly incorporated and smooth.
Serve this smoothie immediately or keep it in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
- If you have sour plums, you might consider replacing one apple with a banana or add more sweetener of your choice.
- Remember that you can add dried fruits to your smoothies to add some sweetness. For example, you can use cored dates, apricots, raisins and prunes. In order to get a smoother texture for your drink, soak dried fruits in warm water for about 15 minutes before blending them in. Your smoothie will be super tasty and naturally sweet! 🙂
- Plums go very well with vanilla so you can use vanilla yogurt or soygurt in this recipe or add some vanilla extract to the smoothie.
- Try adding some superfoods to this smoothie to boost its nutritional value. You can try, for instance, maca powder, protein powder, baobab powder or simply mix in a spoon or two of chia seeds.
Why my Spiced Apple and Plum Smoothie is good for you:
- Plums contains a wide range of vitamins including vitamin A, C, folate, vitamin K, as well as minerals such as potassium, fluoride, phosphorous, magnesium, iron, calcium and zinc. Plums are rich in powerful antioxidants that protect your cell membranes against injuries caused by free radicals.
- Bananas and apples fill you with important vitamins and minerals, such as vitamins C, K, B2 and B6, as wells as potassium, copper, manganese, and magnesium.
- Cinnamon has amazing anti-inflammatory properties and is loaded with antioxidants.
- Raw cocoa contains powerful antioxidants which help fight premature ageing. It also increases the appetite suppressant properties (so it’s perfect for those on a diet), improves mood, boosts your energy levels and helps with poor blood circulation.
|Low in fat, cholesterol and sodium||High in sugar and carbs|
|A good source of dietary fibre (26% of RDA)|
|A good source of vitamins A, C and K (44%, 39% and 21% of RDA)|
|Contains copper, manganese and phosphorus (24%, 18% and 17% of RDA)|
Enjoy your healthy and very delicious smoothie! 😋