Hello dear smoothie lovers! 🙋🏻
Today I am sharing with you one of my favorite recipes: an anti-inflammatory smoothie made with aronia berry (also known as black chokeberry) and cranberry. Both berries are packed with vitamins that are just excellent for the human body. I have written more in-depth about the ingredients below the recipe card, but basically all you have to know is that this is the perfect smoothie for those who wants to reduce inflammation using only nature’s gifts to us.
Aronia berry smoothies are not very common even if they are beneficial for your health. I am guessing that the reason to this is that people don’t really know that chokeberries are actually edible. They can be confused with some inedible berries if you aren’t familiar with them. They are, however, popular in many regions, including Russia, where aronia berries are commonly used in jams, juice, alcoholic drinks and pies. They are not particularly tasty when eaten raw as the have a strong astringent taste, but in a smoothie like this one, they are perfect. And if you don’t like the taste, at least you know it’s good for you 😉 I hope you will enjoy your anti-inflammatory smoothie!
Anti-Inflammatory Smoothie with Cranberry and Aronia Berry
- Peel banana.
- Wash the cranberries and aronia berries and dry them.
- Put all the ingredients in your blender. Add the honey to neutralize the sour taste of the berries.
- Serve immediately.
Why my Cranberry, Aronia Berry and Banana Smoothie is good for you:
- Cranberry contains vitamin C, K and E. It also contains copper and manganese and several phytonutrients with anti-cancer and anti-inflammation properties. Research has shown that the health effects of the whole (raw) cranberry exceed the benefits of the different phytonutrients taken separately. It is also worth noting that most of the phytonutrients exist in the skin and flesh of the cranberry—both of which often are left out in the juicing process, thus stripping cranberry juice of many of the cranberries’ best properties. Cranberries may also protect against urinary tract infection. This effect has been shown especially strong for middle-aged women.
- Aronia berries (black chokeberries) are full of antioxidants that eliminate free radicals in the blood. The aronia berries are also rich in nutrients and fiber, yet low in calories, which makes aronia berries a natural part of weight loss diets. The high amount of dietary fibers is good for our guts, assisting us fight digestion-related health issues such as diarrhea, constipation and bloating.
- Bananas are not, generally speaking, among the healthiest fruits but the high potassium content (about 380-420 mg in one fruit) helps fight high blood pressure and can reduce the risk of having a stroke. Banana is also a good source of fiber: 3 grams per banana. Most of the fibers in a banana are of the soluble type, which medical experts associate with a decreased risk of heart disease.
- Honey has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It strengthens the immune system, normalizes the work of internal organs and improves blood composition.
I hope you will enjoy this nutrient-rich, healthy smoothie! 😘 Finally, if you liked this recipe, feel free to share it with your friends! You can find a number of share buttons above the post 🙂 If you want more smoothies in your feed, you can find Smoothie Fairytales on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest 😉