Hello my dear smoothie lovers! 🙋🏻
This is my second aronia berry (a.k.a. black chokeberry) smoothie recipe and I think you will love this one as much as the one with cranberries 😁 This particular smoothie does not quite have the same anti-inflammatory effect as my Anti-Inflammatory Smoothie with Cranberry and Aronia Berry but it is less sour: the added apple and banana takes care of that.
Aronia berries are excellent in so many ways. Most importantly, their nutritional values are amazing. Chokeberries contain high levels of polyphenols and anthocyanins, which are antioxidants that fight free radical damage in the body. Aronia berries contain even more antioxidants than bilberries/blueberries and raspberries, both of which are known for being very rich in these elements.
Aronia berries can be bought online in many shapes: aronia berry powder, dried aronia berries, aronia berry juice, aronia berry jellies… the list goes on. You can find more info about aronia berries in this excellent video by the Globe and Mail.
The taste of a raw chokeberries is not bad, but it is quite tart and will make your mouth pucker if you eat them right from the bush. For this reason, aronia berries are great in smoothies where you can easily combine them with other berries and fruits that then lessen this effect. In my case, the added banana and apples help cancel out the mouth-puckering effect of the aronia berry.
I hope you will enjoy this recipe! ☺️
Aronia Berry Smoothie
- 0,5 cup aronia berries (black chokeberry)
- 2 apples
- 1 banana
- 0,5 cup water
- 1 tbsp honey (or sweetener of your choice)
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- Wash the apples, core them, and finally cut them into smaller chunks. Peel the banana and slice it. Wash the aronia berries.
- Put the fruit and berries into the blender. Add the honey, water and cinnamon, or, alternatively, add them later to the mix. Blend until smooth. Note #1: The aronia berries' skin is tough so small pieces might remain. Add more water to the mix if needed.Note #2: Some people like cooking the aronia first, to improve the taste. I suspect this comes at a price of some of the vitamins and minerals disappearing. If you feel like cooking them first, you can let them simmer in water on a saucepan, covered, for some 10 minutes. Remember to stir often.
- Pour the ready smoothie into glasses, decorate with aronia berries and a stick of cinnamon.
By the way, if you don’t want to use your aronia berries in a smoothie, you can also juice aronia berries, mix them with yogurt or make aronia berry sorbet. I have even heard of people who make pastries or even bread with aronia berries. Why not?
Have a great day and remember to eat healthily! ☺️