Today I’d like to share with you a healthy and delicious smoothie made with carrots, apples and ginger. This smoothie is sweet and has a pleasantly spicy ginger aftertaste.
My Tips For Making A Perfect Carrot Apple Smoothie
Ginger. For this recipe I used quite a big piece of ginger. For that reason, my smoothie was quite gingery. If you prefer a milder, less spicy ginger taste, use just a few thin slices.
Carrots and apples. If you would like to achieve a smooth creamy smoothie, I recommend grating the carrots and peeling the apples.
Add fat for maximum Vitamin A absorption. This carrot smoothie contains a high amount of Vitamin A (170% of RDA). Many people don’t know that Vitamin A is a fat-soluble vitamin. What does this mean? It means that some fat is needed to help your body absorb the vitamin. Only a small amount of fat is needed, though. Just three grams of fat is already enough. Keep this in mind when you choose the liquid base for this carrot smoothie. If you drink the smoothie after a meal, then the amount of fat you got from the meal will be enough to absorb the vitamin A. However, if you drink the smoothie between meals, you need to use normal fat yogurt or, alternatively, add some nuts or seeds to increase the fat content of the smoothie.
Apple Carrot Ginger Smoothie
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 4 medium carrots 1 cup grated
- 2 medium sweet apples (peeled)
- 1 tbsp ginger root (chopped or grated)
- 1 tbsp honey (optional)
- Peel and grate the carrots. Use the grater side with large holes.
- Peel the apples and cut them into quarters. Remove the core. Chop each apple quarter into smaller chunkes.
- Peel the ginger root. If you have a high speed blender, you don't need to grate the ginger. If you know that your blender won't be able to process a big chunk of ginger, grate it.
- Pour yogurt into the blender jar. Then add apples, carrots, ginger root and a table spoon of honey.
- Process until smooth.
Interested in more smoothie recipes? Here are some green smoothie ideas for you to try: