Hello dear smoothie lovers! 🙋🏻
Autumn has finally arrived to Finland 🍂🍁🌧 Leaves are quickly getting yellow and red and it’s only 12 degrees (Celsium) outside. My today’s smoothie, the Lingonberry Plum Smoothie, is made with aromatic apples from my parents-in-law’s garden and lingonberries from the forest nearby. I am trying to use fresh and local produce when it is possible. Luckily, there is no shortage of forest berries or apples here in Finland 🙂
As a person with RA (rheumatoid arthritis), I suffer from low immunity and easily get sick. Seriously, I can get sick if somebody as much as sneezes close to me 🙀 To stay healthy, I try to eat as many healthy smoothies as possible and make sure I get enough vitamins and nutrients. I decided to make a smoothie with lingonberries and plums to make sure I get vitamin C and vitamin A, as well as antioxidants.
Lingonberry Plum Smoothie
- 2 apples
- 1 cup lingonberries
- 3 plums
- 4 dates
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp honey or other sweetener of your choice (optional)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Roughly chop apples, pit the plums and dates (if needed) and put them into the blender. Add lingonberries, yogurt, sweetener, vanilla extract and cinnamon. Put aside a few lingonberries for decoration.
- If you wish, you can also add a couple of spoons of your favorite seeds, oatmeal or a spoonful of superfoods to boost the nutritional value of your smoothie.
- Blend everything until smooth. Pour smoothie in glasses and decorate with remaining lingonberries.
Why this Lingonberry and Plum Smoothie is good for you:
- Apples are packed with disease-fighting vitamins, antioxidants and more, making them one of the top-ranked fruits for your health.
- Only 1 or 2 tablespoons of frozen lingonberries a day can help with diabetes, blood pressure challenges, and reduce inflammation. Lingonberries are packed with powerful antioxidant polyphenols.
- Plums are a good source of vitamin B1, B2, B3, B6 and E. The minerals present in plums include potassium, fluoride, phosphorous, magnesium, iron, calcium and zinc. Plums also supply dietary fiber and offer very low calories without any harmful fats.
- Yogurt contains a good amount of protein, as well as several other nutrients like calcium, vitamin B2, vitamin B12, potassium, and magnesium.
- Cinnamon has amazing anti-inflammatory properties and is loaded with antioxidants.
|Low in saturated fat||Very high in sugar (unless you leave out the honey)|
|Very low in cholesterol|
|Low in sodium|
|High in dietary fiber|
|A fair amount of manganese and phosphorus|
|Very high in vitamin B6|
|High in vitamin C|
Enjoy your delicious, vitamin-filled drink! 😘 In case you want another lingonberry smoothie recipe, check out my Super-Healthy Lingonberry Smoothie.
P.S. If you liked this recipe, please let others know about it. You can find share buttons above the post. And if you want to get more smoothie updates, you can find Smoothie Fairytales on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest.